Thursday, April 2, 2009

Welcome to 3sisterchicks

Hello ladies, friends and sisterchicks of all kinds. We welcome you to our blog! Our goal is to make this a fun, encouraging and informative place for you to visit. We will be sharing childhood stories from the "sisterchick" perspective and posting pictures and stories of our present families and friends. We will also be sharing gardening, cooking, and home improvement tips, along with many other valuable pieces of information. (smile) IMPORTANT!!! Now pay close attention: We will be doing "giveaways" every so often and you could be the lucky winner of a FABULOUS gift! Most importantly, we want this blog to be wrapped around our faith in Jesus Christ who is our sweet Savior and the One that has blessed us so richly in this life. We thank Him for the precious blessing of being sisters, daughters, moms, Nana, aunts and friends. We thank Him for you!



Here's a little background info. It's kind of long, so if you're interested or if you just have some slack time and want to do some mindless reading, then read on. If not, just go ahead and click the X button.



Dee (Deanna) and Berby (Beverly) were born in the mid 60's and lived with Mom and Dad in a small house in big 'ole Mulga, AL. We fought like cats and dogs, but we were the best of buds! One of our favorite past times was building tents with the bed sheets and furniture in our bedroom. What would start out as ordinary sheets would become a tent in a remote forest, or a castle on a beautiful island. Mama was a stay-at-home mom at that time, and one of the many great things about mamachick is that she would let us have fun! She would encourage our imaginations and creative juices. Sometimes, she would even camp out in the tent with us!


Daddy worked in the coal mines, and worked all hours of the night. He would always come in through the back porch which led to a door into our bedroom. He had black coal dust all over his face and his hair and clothes were a mess, evidence of the hard work he did to provide for his family. We would pretend he was a monster coming to find us and we would hide under the sheets, not making a sound or a move until he was securely locked away in the dungeon - which was when he was in the bathroom taking a shower - then we would giggle our heads off. Wonder how many times he thought his little girls were sleeping so peacefully??!!!


In the early 70's the Higgins household was in for some huge changes! A new arrival! Gina Kay Higgins: A new toy for Dee and somebody to fight with (when she gets older) for Berby. (Note from Berby: SHE started it!) Within a short span of time, we moved to Maytown, started going to Maytown Baptist Church where Mama was saved and Daddy re-dedicated His life to Jesus. What a blessing!


Gina was a bundle of joy, and nothing angered her much older and very protective sisters more than for someone to mess with the little sisterchick. Yes, even Berby. She might have whooped the tar out of her, but nobody else was gonna touch her! Dee loved sitting at the piano with Gina in her lap and playing broken chords on the piano, both of them singing old hymns. (Yes, Gina did have huge lungs and vocals way back then). Some things come full circle, just no one sitting in the lap! We all spent lots of time playing barbies together. It appeared that Dee and Berby were being good big sisters, but the truth is that Gina and Berby were just playing with Dee. We all loved riding our bikes down the hill in front of our house. It seems that Gina and Berby were in constant competition to see how many times they could crash and scrape up knees and elbows. There's sure to be scars even to this day.



Okay, that's all we'll bore you with today. All of our posts won't be quite so long, others probably will be. Please leave a comment telling us about one of your favorite childhood memories, then be sure to come visit us again.

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful" (Prov. 15:13)



Blessings,

Gina, Berby & Dee

7 comments:

  1. First I would just like to say that was such a great blog!! It was so sweet that I have tears in my eyes. Of course, it doesn't take much to make me cry these days anyway LOL. I have so many wonderful childhood memories thanks to the three of you and the rest of our loving family! It would be hard to choose a favorite. But, I was thinking of one the other day that I don't really share that much so I think I will tell you about that one. I have two favorite memories with my daddy. The first was when I was pretty young. I would go with daddy to the dump in his old pickup truck. He would always stop and get me a Dr. Pepper before heading out and we would sing to the top of our lungs with the country music that was blaring on the radio the whole way there. It might not sound like anything special, but it meant the world to me. The second is when he wrote me the most precious letter for my 16th birthday telling me how proud he was of me and how much he loved me. I know this was a long comment, but I am just overflowing with emotions right now and I can't quit talking. I love you all so much and can't wait to see more on your blog!!
    Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog!! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see the three of you sitting around the computer laughing as you type. I have many fond memories of my visits to Maytown. I always looked forward to seeing all my cousins. I was very jealous that I didn't get to live around ya'll all the time. But I'll start with one memory...the many times we went exploring through the woods (I really only remember Berby doing this)and all the things we discovered...like crawdads. I never thought one day I would live in a place that actually ate those muddy creatures. I must say, they are mighty tasty. And by the way, you must suck the heads! I'll share another one next time. I am so proud that you three are my cousins! I love you all very much!

    Destry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Des,
    Thanks for hopping on and sharing the memories. But I have to say that crawdad head sucking thing is just gross! :-)
    We love you too!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dee,
    It does sound gross...but I participate in the insanity and love it. You need to come down and try it. It's that season and we will probably enjoy a few pounds on Sunday. It's kind of an Easter tradition.

    Love You,
    Destry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dee,
    You guys make me wish I had a sister, but growing up with three older brothers was quite the experience too, love reading about you and your family, keep sharing those memories with us. LOL Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Deanna,
    After reading my comment I realized my spelling was a little off, oh well. :-) Love ya, friend karen

    ReplyDelete

Hopping on board