Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Quotes

A lot can be learned from quotes and little phrases that you see on church signs, plaques, emails and etc. You know, those cute little things that make you smile or maybe go Hmmmm. One of my favorites was a picture that hung in our Gran's kitchen for years that said "Housework makes you ugly". Truth, I tell you, TRUTH. Think about it, when our housework is behind (oh me) and things are in disarray, something is bound to get lost. It's not a pretty sight to get to work and realize you have on two different shoes, trust me on this! Then there's the other extreme, when we've cleaned our fingers to the bone and everything looks so nice and we're so proud of ourselves, then the husband or a child throws shoes in the floor, and the face that looked pleased as punch five minutes before, now looks like something from a horror movie. So you see, there is truth in that little saying for either extreme of housekeeping.


Another favorite is one that my girls have heard way more than they care to remember: "Put your big girl panties on and deal with it". We all have to hear that piece of wisdom at times, cause let's just admit it, sometimes life stinks. But no matter how stinky it gets, God's mercies are new every morning! Anyway, I guess it didn't damage their self-esteem too much since Erica bought a t-shirt with that very saying on the back of it a couple of years ago.


This one was from a Beth Moore devotional: "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---WOW---What a ride!" (author unknown) Of course, Beth was talking about our life with Jesus being a wild ride with Jesus, not a wild lifestyle!


Carol (work-friend) brought Barbara (work-friend) and I one of the cute flip things that sits on the desk with different scriptures and quotes in it and the cover has a cartoon lady with a hat, jewelry, scarf and all kinds of accessories on. It's titled, "If you can't lose it, decorate it". TOO FUNNY!!! One of my new favorite quotes comes from it: "Religion is like reading the menu. Relationship with God is like actually eating the meal. You could starve while reading the menu". (Anita Renfroe) That brought a smile when I read it, but WOW it is really profound (at least for me, I can't handle too deep). I don't want to have a mental list that I'm checking off: Bible reading - check, prayer - check, church - check, and on and on, but miss having a deeper relatinship with Jesus in the process. I want to have enough wisdom to know when it's time to be like Martha and being a doer of good things but also when it's time to be like Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus soaking in everything He offers.

And here's the last but the best one that I have loved since childhood: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life". (Jesus Christ) Now that's TRUTH. No other explanation needed.

Do you have a favorite quote or scripture from childhood? We would love for you to share it with us. Have a blessed day.
Love,
Dee

2 comments:

  1. The quote you spoke about in your blog that Beth uses a lot is one of my favorites as well! I just think it gives such and incredible mental picture!! When I think of that quote, I think about when I was younger and would come running through the house and slide across the floor with my socks on LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad always had one for us. If we ever said I cant he would ALWAYS say cant never could! I use it on my kids I will always remember that saying

    ReplyDelete

Hopping on board